sen walk movie
May 17, 2024

Community Service

By: Natalie Cox and Mallory Thomason

As the end of the school year draws closer, some seniors are scrambling to find opportunities for community service hours. In the past seven years, Flora High School has adopted a community service program as a part of the graduation requirement. Seniors are required to have 30 total hours with 10 of those done their senior year in order to graduate.

The community service program began at FHS as a requirement for the Jobs for Illinois Graduates program that Mr. McNeely taught. The benefits were so significant it was then included as a school requirement.

Many students have a positive response to the community service program. Guidance administrator, Kellie Massie said, “Depending on the student, many pupils have a positive outlook.” Massie explains how it has opened up many opportunities for networking, letters of recommendation, scholarships and even jobs. Due to the service involvement of Flora High School students in surrounding area organizations, the people in charge of events have appreciated their help.

According to Massie, The program teaches responsibility, gets the students involved and opens their eyes to the bigger picture while making a difference. It also teaches good communication and work ethic since they are committed to the hours.

Students have multiple opportunities to complete their mandatory hours. They can find a list of service options at the guidance office. Here are some upcoming events where students can sign up in the guidance office: Food pantry, PreK nights, Heritage Woods, and Flora Gardens.