FHS library and reading program

By Millie Beland
Flora High School’s new librarian, Donna Krutsinger, brings in new ideas for the library and for the students that love to read. The school’s administration asked Mrs. Krutsinger to be the new librarian. Mrs. Krutsinger added in a new reading program that lets students read different types of books to win prizes.

This year there has been an average of 100-110 books checked out all the time with anywhere from 10-20 books checked out and/or returned daily. In the first week of this year, 100 books were checked out, and an average of 100 books are being checked out each week. Over the summer the library received over 1800 books. The library now holds more than 6000 books this year. She also was donated over 800 books from emailing the Young Adult award winning authors and publishing companies.

Mrs. Krutsinger is now in charge of Flora’s Book Club that lets high school students that come together to choose books for next year’s list. At this year’s Appleknocker, members in the book club had 171 people at their booth and sold over 70 books that were donated by the Illinois Reading Council and several elementary teachers. They also read to children that stopped at the booth, and gave away snacks to children of all ages.

Mrs. Krutsinger has enjoyed being the librarian this year. She said she enjoys re-decorating the library on her free time. She stated, “I have enjoyed reading since I was little, and that is what inspired me to become a teacher. I am also glad that I became the FHS librarian.” Mrs. Krutsinger also says she enjoys seeing the students read. She likes hearing students come to her, give book suggestions, and ask for recommendations. Mrs. Krutsinger says that the library has surpassed her expectations for the first year and she hopes for it to keep getting busier and improving.