The Student News Site of Flora High School

Flora High School Howler

Flora High School Howler

Flora High School Howler

sen walk movie
May 17, 2024

Wolfettes dance team to debut in Conley Gym

By Bailee Hilliard

They’re gonna bop bop to the top, and dance their way into competition. The Flora Woflettes make their debut on December 13 at halftime during the girl’s basketball game. 

Dancing is not something that has always been common around Flora, Illinois. So, when the idea of a dance team popped up, the news spread easily throughout our tiny community. 

Whether you were recruited by the coaches, convinced by friends, or just wanted to dance, this program opens up amazing opportunities for so many girls. 

Bayley Moyer (11th)“I was told about the team by the coaches,  and I needed a change from cheerleading.”

Not only was she recruited, but she used it as a gap year from cheerleading. There are also other instances for some to join, such as Raya Simpson (11th).

“I’ve always loved to dance and I wanted to be on a dance team in college but I wanted experience so I joined the dance team”

No matter your reasoning for joining the team, it is welcoming of all. 

“They are offering a team for the junior high and high school, and possibly starting one for the 4th and 5th graders. There is a non competitive and a competitive.” said Bayley

During practices not only are the girls learning how to bust a move, they are also getting to know each other and growing friendships that will last throughout high school. 

Practices: “Sometimes [can] go longer because some people need more practice than others and we need all the practice we can get before the games; Bayley and me usually drive in circles around the parking lot blasting Christmas music because why not?” said Raya. 

There are a total of 27 high school girls that make up the team, and that isn’t even counting the elementary girls who participate. 

Although this program is new to this little town of Flora, we can only watch and see how big these girls’ ambitions are for dance and where it will take them.