sen walk movie
May 17, 2024

Drama seniors go out dancing

By Justin Mitchell

It isn’t the first time that Flora High School has done a musical that nobody has heard about and it won’t be the last. For this year, the Flora High School Drama Club performed a lighthearted, cometic, operatia called The Pirates of Penzance. 

“We have the perfect cast for this musical,” explained Sarah Hudson. Mrs. Hudson, Drama club sponsor and musical director,  influenced the Drama club cast and crew to choose a musical that would fit best with the existing cast and crew they had. 

Out of the five musical options, Aladdin Jr, Shrek, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Pirates of Penzance, and You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown, the student narrowed it down to two options. The students voted, and by a slight margin, chose The Pirates of Penzance as the 2021-2022 spring musical. 

During the winter, the Drama Club kids practice and train their voices until auditions. Mrs. Combs, the High School band teacher, and Mrs. Hudson, the musical director, picked who would fit the roles of each character the best.

The cast list was out that very night. The leads were Landon Durre, Madyson Slover, Justin MItchell, Samatha Mosbarger, and Brody Sharp. Other important cast members included Sawyer Mosbarger, Mallory Lovett, Katie Muskopf, Jayden Sloan, Blayley Walker, Cheyenne Pride, and Dylan Copple. 

Behind the scenes, crew members and production helped build, paint, and create sets and costumes. The backstage crew consisted of Gauge Mayberry, Wyatt Pride, Eli Scoles, Reya Simpson, and Dericka Winters.