Students find community service opportunities despite pandemic

By: Kaylee Scarbrough

Community service has looked a little bit different throughout the past few years. Covid- 19 was a major aspect that made community service harder to do. There are still plenty of opportunities now that the Covid-19 numbers have lessened. 

Some of the opportunities include helping out at animal shelters, working at the food pantry, and helping with any other event in the community. According to junior Mason Miller, anyone can… “help give elderly people food and take out animals [from animal shelters].” 

There are many benefits to helping out in the community. Miller said, “My most rewarding experience was watching little puppies run around and it was a lot of fun!” 

Some students may also help with concessions or statistics at sporting events. At these sporting events, the students will most likely have the opportunity to watch the event go on while helping out in the community. Miller agreed that getting to watch the sporting events is the best part of helping the community. 

There are currently different requirements for each FHS class. The class of 2022 needs 10 local hours of community service starting anytime after July 1, the class of 2023 needs to obtain 15 local hours of community service with 10 during their senior year, the class of 2024 needs to have 20 local hours of community service with 10 during their senior year, and the class of 2025 needs to obtain 30 hours of community service with 10 accumulated within their senior year. FHS students need to make sure to finish their community service hours before the end of their senior year.