Pride working to pursue musical career

By Becca Persinger

High school students normally spend their spare time with their friends, participating in a sport or in a club, or doing school work, but Jordan Pride sets himself apart from his peers by doing all that an average teen would along with learning to play songs on multiple instruments, and traveling all across Illinois in attempt to catch a big break in the music industry.

“Music drives me,” Pride said, “Without it, I wouldn’t know what to do with my life.”

As far back as Pride can remember, music has always been a big part of his life. He began to take an interest in music at the early age of four when he was given a drum set. After the drums, it was a domino effect for Pride. His mother decided to buy him a trumpet, and challenged her son to learn how to play it. It didn’t take long before playing the trumpet became second nature for Pride.

“My family supports me 100% in everything I do,” Pride said, “Whether I want to try and tackle a new instrument, or tackle someone in a game of football, they encourage me to push myself, and try my hardest to become a better musician and a better person.”

Having a deep love for his school would be a great understatement for Pride. He expresses his school spirit by participating in multiple sports and clubs. Football, track, baseball, and tennis consumed most of the four years that Pride has attended FHS, but along with those sports, he has also been an active member of Drama Club, Pep Club, Spanish Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), Family Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA), Science Club, and Business Club.

Trying new things and taking big risks is normal for Pride. One of the biggest and most exciting chances that he has taken was when he auditioned for the extremely popular television show, “The Voice.” Receiving news that he was not advanced in the competition gave Pride more initiative to continue trying in hopes of making it big in the music industry. Rejection drove him to try again, and Pride did end up advancing farther than he did in the previous competition, but he was not advanced into the final rounds.

“‘The Voice’ taught me to be more confident about myself and my singing,” Pride said, “I am performing at more places now than I ever have, and I’m working on my stage performance. When I go back to audition again in the near future, I will be ready for what’s coming.”

Pride plans on attending Olney Central College for one year to get any general education classes that he needs to take out of the way, and then he will transfer to Lincoln Christian University and major in worship ministry to finally obtain what he needs to have a career in music.

He has been preparing for his future as a minister by attending services at First Christian Church. He began singing there for his fellow church members when he was young.

“Everyone that hears me sing at church are very nice, and they respond well to my voice and performance,” Pride said, “I even have some people say that they would pay big bucks to hear me in concert.”

A few of the songs that Pride has sung at church include “Redeemed,” by Big Daddy Weave, “Lifesong,” by Casting Crowns, and “If We are the Body,” also by Casting Crowns. He is hoping he can begin to sing there more often after receiving so much encouragement.

FHS students who have been studying alongside Pride for the entirety of their schooling are also a main source of support for Pride in his pursuit of a successful career in music. Another aspiring singer in Pride’s class is Olivia Booth, who stepped into the spotlight at last year’s school talent show.

“Olivia has a gorgeous voice, and she is a wonderful musician,” Pride said, “Out of all of the musically talented kids in FHS, Olivia was the one to capture my attention, and make me want to sing and play with her.”

Pride is currently spending most of his spare time learning a new song for his niece. She requested that he learned a song from one of the most popular pop bands in the world, One Direction.

“My voice and my musical talents set me apart from other people,” Pride said, “I love playing sports, but I’m not the all-star on the team. With music, I have a chance to be noticed.”