Wolfgals sweeping the court

By Shelby Jones

The Wolfgals Tennis team remains undefeated after beginning their 2014 season with a pair of sweet victories.

On Thursday, Aug. 28 the Wolfgals opened with a sweep against Newton, winning 7-0.

They followed this with the high point of their season. After 26 years of rivalry with the T-Town Wooden Shoes, the Flora Wolfgals swept their opponents, winning all nine matches on Tuesday, Sept. 2.

Although the team expected the match to be close, they did not anticipate winning every match, according to senior player Macy Warren.

Kenzie Jennings added, “Its always nice to put a splinter in their wooden shoes.”

The match consisted of 6 singles and 3 doubles competitions.

The number one doubles team of Kenzie Jennings  and Brooke Winka won in two games,  6-1 and 6-1. Number two doubles, Macy Warren and Allison Carder, also won in two with scores of  6-2 and 7-5, and Morgan Luttrell and Kasey Jennings followed suit, winning 6-2 and 6-1.

In singles play, number one player Winka won in three, posting scores of  4-6, 6-1 and 6-3. Kenzie Jennings won with scores of 6-3 and 6-2; Warren swept her opponent at  7-5 and 6-2; Carder posted a win at 6-0 and 6-2. Samantha Briscoe added another victory at 6-1 and 6-1, and Luttrell came in with a final score of 6-1 and 6-0.

The ‘gals nearly pulled off another sweep on Thursday, Sept. 4 when they topped Centralia eight matches to one. This was another surprise win for the Wolfgals.

“We didn’t expect to win against Centralia; we expected to get beat badly,” Warren explained.

The For the first time in 20 years the Flora Wolfgals tennis team defeated Olney on Thursday, Sept. 11 in a 7-2 match.

The Flora Wolfgals tennis team beat Salem Tuesday, Sept. 23 in a 7-2 match and Robinson, 9-0, on Thurs. Sept. 25.