The evolution of slang

By: Jacob Pruitt

“Ayo that girl be dusty or nah?!” Today’s slang terms define our generation.  It is like a code used by teens to keep their information on the down low.  Without slang our world would be too dull.

What’s popular today in our rural area is old in urban areas.  Most people use slang yet they do not know what it means.  This article will explain some of today’s popular slang terms in our world.

Our Slang of 2014 was created by today’s teenagers.  Words Like “Dusty”(Ugly), “Slay”(Describes something that whoops the competition or is amazing), and “Sickening”(Term used for someone who can make others jealous) are very common terms used in modern slang.  Other terms like “Salty”(Bad attitude), “Stay woke”(Stay prepared), and “for the gawds”(describes something that is amazingly great) are still considered slang, but are less popular.  Social media has played a really big part in our creation of slang.  Vine©, a popular application on smartphones that lets you record short 6 second videos, has sparked today’s modern slang.  It has made phrases like “You Mad?”(term used to taunt another person to make them even angrier), “Or nah…”(a rhetorical question to confirm future activity), and “Yasss gurl yasss!”(a flamboyant way to shout when someone is super excited) very popular.  Slang is often also used in modern conversations.  Words like “Ayo”(Hey you whats up?) and “Unbothered”(when someone does not care about an issue anymore) are commonly used in verbal conversations.

Slang has its own evolution, it will keep on changing.  It is a life.  It’s created and then slowly dies only to be replaced by a new generation of slang.