The Student News Site of Flora High School

Flora High School Howler

Flora High School Howler

Flora High School Howler

Chalkguy visits FHS

By Kelsi Brown and BreeAnn Stanford

Performer, educator, and artist Ben Glenn spoke to Flora High School on Friday, Nov. 4. Glenn expressed his childhood and his art profession to grades six through twelve. Glenn’s speaking engagements began when he was presented with the opportunity to tell his story at small church camps and conferences.

Glenn struggled in his early years due to having ADD. From his experiences, he spoke to us high school students to encourage us to “never give up… and always preserve.” Glenn portrays himself through his art. Glenn mostly “speedscapes”. Speedscaping is a fast-paced, large-scale landscape created in front of the audience using chalk and a black 6 x 8 foot canvas. Glenn also enjoys painting as well, but prefers to draw with chalk.

During his assembly, Glenn drew a landscape picture on a canvas. After he finished, he donated the picture to our school. It now hangs in the auditorium along with two other drawings he’s given us.

Glenn sells many of his drawings along with pictures of his drawings. He has also published seven books including a book called, Building Success Brick by Brick. This book shares some of his favorite tips to the readers, to help achieve goals and strengthen self esteem. He sells books to reach out to not only students but adults too. Glenn is also the founder of Chalkguy’s LEGO Drive Project.