Wolves track team prepares for LIC conference

By: Delaney Elliott

The Flora High School boy’s track team has participated in six meets so far and has ranked in the middle of the standings each week. They hosted the 7th Annual Flora Invitational on April 12 and competed in the Carmi Invitational on April 26, finishing 4th and 5th respectively in each meet. The team has the LIC conference coming up this Thursday on May 4.

Many members have received ribbons and some medals in their individual events. Brandon Burkett has received several firsts in the 100 meter dash. Burkett, Josh Moats, Damian Clark, and Owen Leib are leading in points this far.

When asked his expectations for the rest of the season, Coach Phil Leib answers, “We expect to compete and get better each and every meet with personal bests and records being accomplished this time of the year.”

The boys’ track team has overcome several obstacles this year. Two trackletes, Jordan Smith and Levi Williams, endured appendectomy surgeries and competed within a few weeks.

Coach Leib has nothing but faith in his athletes, saying that his team has been “blessed with the athleticism and work ethic to compete for a State advancement.”