The Student News Site of Flora High School

Flora High School Howler

Flora High School Howler

Flora High School Howler

Issac Stanford: The boy who never stops running

By: Mallory Thomason

People don’t normally take up running as a hobby; the labored breathing, sweaty bodies, and the stinging feeling in one’s muscles aren’t very appealing. Most people despise running and will do anything to avoid it, however, a small percentage of people actually enjoy running. Isaac Stanford, a freshman at Flora High School, is one of those very few people.

This past fall, Stanford was the top male freshman in the state of Illinois in Cross Country. Because FHS doesn’t have a cross country team, Stanford runs in an independent league  and is coached mainly by his parents..

Stanford explained why running comes naturally to him; his parents are frequent runners and encourage him to keep pushing himself.

Stanford says “I like the competition between other schools.”

His record best for a 5k, (3.125 miles), is 18:21, but he averages 18:30.

Stanford also runs with his high school’s track team, and in junior high, he attended the state meet where he placed fifth in class L.

To condition for his running activities, he practices around town and, runs on a treadmill once a week. He accredits the Nike running camp, located in Nebraska, for really helping him improve his running skills.