The Student News Site of Flora High School

Flora High School Howler

Flora High School Howler

Flora High School Howler

Trevor White FHS ’17

By: Summer Cartright

Trevor White graduated May 2017 from Flora High, ranking tenth in his class. In addition he excelled in math and became more interested in the subject. Being in the honors math classes exposed him more to the different types of math. By the time White graduated high school, he knew he wanted to major in math education.

During his senior year, he shopped around for colleges. White narrowed his choices down to four colleges: University of Southern Indiana (USI), Olney Central College (OCC), Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville (SIUE), and Eastern Illinois University  (EIU). He didn’t know where he really wanted to go, but a job opportunity came along.

Before he decided where he wanted to go, White was hired on at the Pepsi Plant in Effingham IL, the job paid well so he decided he wanted to keep the job and stay local for his first year of college. He attended OCC for one year and then decided to transfer to USI.

When he visited USI he really liked how friendly the staff were and he loved how up-to-date the campus was. Plus, he had friends at USI who gave him really good feedback of the campus. White knew USI would benefit him well.   

White started school in Fall 2018 at USI. He lives in an apartment on campus with three of his friends from high school.

About apartment life, White claims “ The apartments are very spacious and not crowded at all, but you’ll get tired of your roommates soon enough.”

For him college was pretty much what he expected. He thinks the students at USI are more laid back and less talkative than FHS, but there’s also a lot more effort put forth in class.

Though for many college students clubs are a major part of the lifestyle, White jokingly stated  “I’m currently not in any clubs, mostly because the signups were early in the day the first week, and I was normally asleep.”

The big city lifestyle in Evansville seems to fit White. He claims there is more to do there than Flora.

White says “There’s a lot more cooler people in Evansville than in Flora.”

Throughout college White discovered if you procrastinated in high school the same habits will follow you in college.