Lucy Eckleberry FHS ’98

By Charlee Blackwell

Head Cook Lucy Eckleberry used to be on the other side of the lunch bar.  Eckleberry graduated from Flora High school in 1998. She had classes with several other current teachers and was taught by some as well.

As a senior at FHS in the 90s, things were much different from today. Eckleberry said she took easy classes such as Childcare, Co-op, Art, P.E., and Psychology. She had 8-block classes while in school. She says she liked having that schedule because “she didn’t have the same classes every day.”  In her P.E. class, they didn’t have co-ed class without a male and female teacher. Eckleberry was also a part of the Locust Log and won a poem contest her senior year.

Looking back, there are many differences in the lunchroom for Eckleberry.  As a Co-op job, Lucy worked in the cafeteria at school. The lunch tables were arranged differently in the commons.  Anthony’s used to bring pizzas to the high school and sell them during lunch in the commons. When Eckleberry first started at the high school full time in 2007, the food was different as well.  They use to serve the “good square pizza.” Fried foods during this time were actually fried until 2010. When she finished high school, she knew she wanted a job that worked with children. She combined that with her love of cooking and decided to stay with the school cafeteria.

Eckleberry has worked in many of the schools in the district. She used to work at the junior high and Washington school. She has worked for two separate companies since working for the district. Out of all the school she says working at Washington school was her favorite, but she likes the maturity of most of the high school students.  This year’s the sophomore class is the first class she served at Washington school. Eckleberry says watching them grow up was nice to see.