The Student News Site of Flora High School

Flora High School Howler

Flora High School Howler

Flora High School Howler

Illinois State Scholars

By: Chloe York

Students all over the state strive to earn the title of Illinois State Scholar. The state scholars represent the top ten percent of students that are chosen throughout the state in 737 schools. Eight students from the graduating class of 2019 earned that title; these students are Vivian Duquaine, Abigail Gindlesberger, Sydney Hatcher, Gracey Himelick, Olivia Luzadder, Matthew Suntrup, Evan VanHoose, and Cari Wilson.

Vivian Duquaine is the daughter of Paul and Deb Duquaine. She is following in her mother’s footsteps by attending the University of Illinois in Champaign/Urbana, where she will be majoring in Animal Science. Vivian plans to be a veterinarian just like her mother.  

Abigail Gindlesberger is the daughter of Rick and Darla Gindlesberger. She is majoring in English Literature and hopes to work for a publishing company, as a book editor. However, she hasn’t decided where she is going to school yet but has been accepted to a few schools.

Sydney Hatcher is the daughter of  Dale and Courtney Hatcher. She is majoring in pharmaceuticals and will be attending Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.

Gracey Himelick is the daughter of Chris and Nicki Himelick. She has been accepted to Wabash Valley on a softball scholarship and intends to major in elementary education.

Olivia Luzadder is the daughter of Mark and Penny Luzadder and is majoring in microbiology. Olivia is still deciding between two schools, the University of Southern Indiana and Southern Illinois University Carbondale, and she has been selected for interviews at both schools for the presidential scholarship. After she is interviewed at both schools, Olivia will choose the one that offers the best scholarship.

Matthew Suntrup is the son of Scott and Susan Suntrup. He will be attending Kaskaskia and is majoring in aviation.

Evan VanHoose is the son of Ed and Melissa VanHoose. He is attending Ashland University on the presidential level scholarship, and he is majoring in cybersecurity/IT.

Cari Wilson is the daughter of Dr. Calvin and Kimberly Wilson. She will be attend Western Illinois University and is majoring in zoology.

These students were recognized at a board meeting, a boy’s basketball game, and plan to attend a banquet in March.