Students represent FHS at annual Envirothon

By Oyuka Munkhbat

Ten students represented FHS in the annual Envirothon, an environmentally themed competition, Tuesday, March 11.

There were two groups of five members each from FHS. They were all currently involved in Mrs. Dehart’s classes. They were instructed to take tests as a group in 5 categories: Wildlife, Forestry, Aquatics, Soil and Soil Management.

After the tests, the students were treated with free donuts and pizza.

Even though the Sandoval team won the 1st place overall, Flora’s team 1 won 1st place in Forestry, and team 2 won 1st in Soil Management. Team 1 placed 15th, and Team 2 got 23rd overall.

The juniors said the Envirothon was a great experience for the students, challenging intellects in the environmental field. It helps students understand their levels of knowledge, and helps build organizational, and collaborative skills.

Local Envirothon competitions feed into the state programs, which then send representatives to the national Environthon competition. According to its website, the purpose of the North American Environthon program is to promote and coordinate environmental education programs throughout high schools.