The Student News Site of Flora High School

Flora High School Howler

Flora High School Howler

Flora High School Howler

Keyser looking forward to new opportunities at FHS

Mr. Ethan Keyser supervises a student in Basic Ag Mechanics. Photo by Macy Warren.

By Carlie Wilson

Mr. Ethan Keyser is a new teacher this year in the Agriculture Department. He taught Agriculture and was the FFA advisor at West Richland High School for three years before coming to Flora. Mr. Keyser graduated from Cisne High School and then attended Wabash Valley and Frontier community colleges for a year. He then attended Southern Illinois University Carbondale and received a Bachelor’s Degree in Agricultural Systems with a specialization in Agriculture Education. He now lives in Clay City with his wife, Chynna.

Keyser decided to teach high school agriculture because he loves “sharing my passion about agriculture and FFA with other people.”

Keyser chose to come to Flora after West Richland annexed with East Richland “because of the potential and opportunity.  I know that the community and students want to be successful and they have the potential for it. Flora is the biggest school that I have had the opportunity to be involved in.  Although it has a small feel, I see some differences because of the size.  My class sizes are slightly bigger.  Having a school big enough for a football team is something I have never been a part of.  I am so excited to see this FFA program grow.  I want to introduce new contests to the kids and more opportunities for the students.  I know that these students will fall in love with some of things that FFA has to offer.”

So far Mr. Keyser’s favorite thing about Flora High School is the family feel. .“All of the teachers have been great to get to know and to share ideas with.  I see wonderful administration that care about the well-being of their students and their employees.”