McMahon earns $72K from U of I Springfield

By: Marissa Wagley

Senior Colleen McMahon has worked very hard over her high school career.  Most students choose to slack off a little their senior year, but McMahon has continued to work hard and keep her grades strong.

McMahon has been accepted to the University of Illinois in Springfield and plans to attend in the fall.  Having her outstanding GPA of 4.16 and with an ACT score of 30, the college of her choice has rewarded her with the Presidential Award of Honor.  This award consists of $10,000 a year toward tuition.  She also received the Lincoln Merit Award from the school.  This scholarship consists of $8,000 a year in addition to her $10,000.  McMahon was chosen for this scholarship among other students with the required GPA who are entering the honors program.

In addition, the Daughters of the American Revolution have rewarded McMahon with the Good Citizen of the Year Award.  This award is given out by teachers anonymously to the senior they feel have worked the hardest all four years.

McMahon is very excited and grateful for all of the money and awards she has received so far.   She commented, ”I just feel like all four years of working hard is finally paying off.”