The Student News Site of Flora High School

Flora High School Howler

Flora High School Howler

Flora High School Howler

Conrad to attend McEndree University on Bass Club scholarship

By Anthony Sturm

For most people, fishing is nothing more than a fun summertime activity, but senior Andrew Conrad has turned that hobby into cold, hard cash.

Conrad, a Flora High School senior, has been granted a scholarship to McKendree College for bass fishing. Since choosing to attend McKendree, Conrad has met the coach and gone fishing with him. He has also met with some of the other members of the Bass Team when he toured the campus. He said “ It’s a small, nice campus, everyone knows each other.” 

As he starts his fishing season at McKendree, he will have to qualify against all of the other team members. If he is in the top four on the team, he will have the opportunity to travel around the United States to fish. When they do travel the school pays for all of the expenses. The teams drive themselves to the lakes.

When they arrive to the lake to the lake they have a couple of days to practice and get to know the lake, then they start tournament. As they fish all the different lake around the United States, Andrew said “Im looking forward to fish Lake Chickamauga.”

He also plans on majoring in elementary education while at McKendree University.