sen walk movie
May 17, 2024

Drama Club prepares for “My Fair Lady”

By Zoe Murbarger and Abby Collins

Flora High School’s production of My Fair Lady will make you want to dance all night, much like the main character, Eliza Doolittle, after she attends her first ball as a sophisticated lady.

The production of My Fair Lady put on by the Flora High School Drama Club, will be performed in the Harry Penry auditorium on Friday, March 20 and Saturday, March 21 at 7 p.m. There will also be a show on Sunday, March 22 at 2 PM. Tickets will go on sale a week before the show and will also be available at the door. Adults are $6 and students are $4.

Musical director Mrs. Sara Hudson says “My Fair Lady is classic musical theatre that the older audience will know more about, but even if the kids don’t know the show they would still think “oh I think I’ve heard this song before.”

This show was originally a play called “Pygmalion” which Alan Jay Learner adapted into a Broadway musical, which later took the form of a movie musical.  Hudson says “it has a lot of layers and deals with a lot of class.”  

My Fair Lady follows pompous phonetics professor Henry Higgins through London while he makes a bet to his friends that he can transform a cockney flower girl into a sophisticated lady.  Emma Luzader, who plays Eliza Doolittle, says “We have a lot in common, and I knew I could learn from playing her.” 

Owen Traub is playing Henry Higgins, the man who made a bet with his friends.  Traub describes his character as mean and sexist, “just like me,” Owen said jokingly.

Grace Herman, who plays Mrs. Pierce, says “when someone forgets their line, we lean on the other cast members help pick them up.”  Herman is not the only one who says that the cast is really close. Landon Durre plays the former military colonel and gentleman, Colonel Pickering.  He says the cast is “pretty well one big family.

Michel Foreman plays Henry’s long-suffering mother, Mrs. Higgins.  She describes her character as “feminist, high society, and frustrated with her son.”

Ty Landreth is playing Alfred Doolittle, Eliza’s father and also an alcoholic. “I have in fact picked up a drinking habit for this role,” Ty said jokingly.

Sawyer Mosbarger is playing one of Henry’s drinking buddies. Justin Mitchell is playing another one of Henry’s drinking buddies.

Raiden Freeman is playing Professor Zolten Karpanthy who is a Hungarian Prince.

Though anyone can try out for the school musical, most of the cast members also participate in the drama club.  The cast has been practicing for this musical since the start of January.