Scholastic Bowl Defeats Rival School Fairfield to Win Sectionals

Flora High School won the scholastic bowl sectional competition on February 19 at Fairfield High School.  The first match was a close call with Lawrenceville leaving with 200 points and Flora with 210. 

Their second match was an easy win, with Flora having 260 and Hamilton County having 100. The final match was quite an interesting one with our rival school, Fairfield,  being our final competitor.  

Emery Oesch, a senior on the varsity team, relays playing Fairfield a lot during the season but they kept losing. “We have a bit of a friendly rivalry, so it’s fun when we can actually beat them.” Katie Muskopf, another senior, said. The team won the match, and therefore the sectionals, with Flora having 210 and Fairfield leaving with 190.  

They started practices in early September leading up to sectionals. Muskopf said a lot of teamwork goes into matches.

“Anyone with a beating pulse can join scholastic bowl, and even if you aren’t breathing we will probably still take you,” Oesch said

Joining the team can broaden your knowledge of random facts and give you opportunities to make friends. 

Muskopf said “I feel so much wiser than I was at the beginning of high school solely because of scholastic bowl. I feel that what I have learned in scholastic bowl will be more beneficial to me in the future than most stuff I have learned in high school.”