The Student News Site of Flora High School

Flora High School Howler

Flora High School Howler

Flora High School Howler

Seniors end high school drama career with Into the Woods

By Hannah Bute

On March 21 and 22, the Flora High School Drama Department went into the woods and out again when it performed the popular musical Into the Woods. The production, a conglomeration of Grimm Brothers tales, brought a large audience to the high school, creating both laughter and sadness.

The production featured nearly fifteen seniors/foreign exchange students in cast and crew–quite a large group to leave the Drama family, but one that will be sorely missed.

“We owned that show,” said junior Briano Gutierrez, who played Jack in the musical. “We pulled that off, and we did it as a family. Everyone was dedicated, hardworking, and absolutely fantastic…I’m proud to have been a part of that, and I hope those who were here this year will enlist for years to come, because [they] are all such a great addition to the family as well.” He went on to state that he will greatly miss all of the outgoing seniors, as most of them have been on stage and behind the curtain with him since he started acting and helping with crew.

Senior Al Stewart, who played the Baker, said that he would most miss the “quality time that everyone spends together, where we can all be stupid together no matter what other people think of you. Everyone has that weird side and it’s great to embrace it.” Stewart has been a member of the Drama Department all four years of high school, and has played numerous roles.

The Drama Department has also participated in charities such as Trick-or-Treat So Kids Can Eat, and they attend a theatre workshop called Drama Daze annually at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale. In addition to these activities, the students also attend a musical. This year, in May, the Drama Club will go to the Fabulous Fox Theatre to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.