The Student News Site of Flora High School

Flora High School Howler

Flora High School Howler

Flora High School Howler

Gummert looking forward to spending time with family

By Summer Williams
After 30 years of teaching Mrs. Debbie Gummert has decided to retire at the end of this school year. Mrs. Gummert started her teaching career at Noble’s junior high school, where she taught for a year; after that she taught 20 years at Floyd Henson Junior High, and the rest of her teaching has been done at Flora High School.
Here at FHS she teaches Calculus, Statistics, Trigonometry, Algebra II, and Honors Algebra II. Her favorite subject to teach is calculus because she enjoys “the challenges of the higher level curriculum.”
When Gummert was in high school she helped other students with their assignments, and it seemed to help them understand the processes of algebra, so she pursued a career in education.
Mrs. Gummert said there were too many memories to have to choose one as her favorite; however, she enjoyed watching the students succeed in and out of the classroom and reach their goals. She added she would miss the students and faculty; however, she is looking forward to spending more time with her 18 grandchildren which includes a set of twins and triplets. She also plans to travel in and out of the country with her husband.