The Student News Site of Flora High School

Flora High School Howler

Flora High School Howler

Flora High School Howler

Sydney Cammon FHS ’18

By: Charlee Blackwell
As children, most people are disgusted with the thought of medicine, but 2018 FHS graduate Sydney Cammon aspires for a career in the Pharmaceutical business.

Cammon chose this field because she, “Always enjoyed science classes since I was in elementary, so I knew science was a degree that I was meant to have in life.”

Eastern Illinois University is where she decided to start her journey; She plans to get a bachelor’s degree in biochemistry before obtaining her Pharmacy degree.

Cammon chose the school because it is close to home, but far enough away to live on campus and get the full college experience. At first, she didn’t think it would be the best fit for her, but now she considers it “a second home.” Cammon mentions that there is such a large student body she meets someone new person every day.

While attending EIU, she lives on campus in an all-girl dorm where she shares a room with fellow FHS graduate, Samantha Payne. Cammon enjoys having a roommate to experience college with since she is an only child.

Cammon is a part of the softball team and plans to work for the sports program in the fall because she wants to help with sporting events.

Cammon likes Charleston because it is larger than Flora but still offers a small town feel. She feels there are more options for restaurants and activities to do, and Mattoon is only 10 minutes away. Although Charleston offers more for entertainment, Cammon misses her friends, family, and Dairy Queen drinks in Flora.

One piece of advice that she offers to future college students is to pay attention when scheduling your classes. Be sure to leave time to study, travel and eat in between classes.