The Student News Site of Flora High School

Flora High School Howler

Flora High School Howler

Flora High School Howler

Mackenzie Goff FHS ’18

By: Elaina Miller

Mackenzie Goff, a 2018 Flora High School graduate, is currently experiencing her first semester at Eastern Illinois University.

“I expected my freshman year at Eastern Illinois University to be more difficult and strict than high school, but also provide more freedom,” Goff said, but she also claims to miss high school because there were fewer assignments outside of class.

“Dorm life isn’t the best life,” Goff admits in regards to the community showers. It’s not all bad though, Goff loves that it’s almost like a little community because friendships are easier to make.

“I live in a dorm, Thomas Hall. I like it because it’s so easy to create new friendships with the people who live on the same floor as me,” she claims. However, the dorms are super cramped, especially with a roommate.

Many undergraduates fear the vast areas of college campuses, but Goff believes Eastern is easy to understand – especially after orientation. After a few months to adjust, she noticed “everything is all together.” She hasn’t even been lost!

She didn’t hesitate to express that her favorite location on campus is the basement of Thomas Hall, as this is where she has made the most memories with her new friends. One of her favorite memories was a birthday party she attended for her best friend, Michal. Not only that, but she and her friends have also spent their nights baking cookies while playing Just Dance and Uno.

Unlike her personal life outside of class, her chosen major can be slightly boring. Her professor, Dr. Lee Patterson, is her favorite teacher, even though his class is incredibly dull, he makes up for it in personality. “I like seeing how excited he gets talking about the topics we are covering that day,” she explains with a soft smile.

Goff is very enthusiastic about her future plans and goals. After college, Goff hopes to pursue a career within her major and happily begin her successful life.